How do I get a Visa for my fiance? 2017-11-08T14:45:33+00:00

How do I get a Visa for my fiance?

The K-1 visa is reserved for fiances of U.S. citizens who are living abroad and wish to enter the United States to get married. In order to petition for a K-1 visa you must meet several requirements:

  1. The petitioner is a U.S. citizen.
  2. You intend to marry your fiance within 90 days of their arrival in the United States.
  3. You and your fiance are free to marry, any previous marriages must have been legally terminated.
  4. You must have met your fiance in person within the past two years of petitioning. This requirement may be waivered if it would mean violating cultural customs or if you are able to prove that meeting your fiance would impose severe hardship on yourself.

Once your fiance is in the United States, you have 90 days to get married and for your fiance to apply for a Green Card. An alternative to a K-1 visa is the CR-1, which can be obtained by marrying your fiance in their home country and then bringing them to the United States. However, the K-1 is often a better option because you can apply before being married, and it does not involve as lenghty of a waiting period as the CR-1. You may run into issues with your application if you have filed previous K-1 petitions or have been convicted of certain violent crimes. It is advised to speak with a Tallahassee immigration attorney if you believe any of these situations may apply to you, or for the sake of simply making the visa process smoother for you and your fiance. Other reasons to hire an immigration attorney include reducing the risk that your petition is denied based on fraud suspections and eliminating delays that may occur from mistakes in filing complicated forms with the necessary agencies. Contact Liebenhaut Law’s immigration lawyer in Tallahassee if you are seeking guidance in petitioning for a visa. We want to use our immigration law experience to help you unite with loved ones as quickly and effortlessly as possible.