Tallahassee, FL.  Although we represent people at various levels of the social security disability (and sometimes retirement) application and appeal process, we often get calls with questions about changing a name on your social security card.  If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce or other court order, you must tell Social Security to get a correct card. You cannot apply online and must apply in person. The service is free of charge.

1. To apply, you must print and fill out an Application for a Social Security card.
2. Next, you must provide proof of identity in two forms. The Application can be found at http://ssa.gov/ssnumber/. Acceptable forms of proof of identity are a birth certificate, passport, drivers license, or a state issued non-driver identification card. If you do not have one of these, two of the following forms are acceptable: US military identification, health insurance (non Medicare), school identification, or an employee card.
3. Next, you must take or mail documents and application to you local Social Security Office. There, persons over 12 years of age must completed an in person interview. To find your local office, enter your zip code at https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

If you are changing a child’s Social Security card, you must provide a birth certificate and the child must appear if they are over 12 years of age. Additionally, you must provide information about the schools the child attended or provide copies of tax records.

Matt Liebenhaut is a social security disability lawyer in Tallahassee, FL.  The firm also practices in the areas of long-term disability insurance and family law, including divorce, child support, and child custody issues.  Call or click today for a free case evaluation.